Monday, September 20, 2010

Work Day Prayer. Maybe?

For many months now I have tried to incorporate afternoon prayer time while at work but for some reason it just does not seem to be very effective.
Fr. Peter had mentioned trying to put a rubber band around my wrist and after I say my prayer,moving the band onto my opposite wrist.
By doing this for 30 days it will become a habit.
Well this idea only seems to work for a few days then I get busy and forget about the rubber band.
Usually ending up with no prayers but a damp,soapy band around my wrist from multiple times of hand washings.
Last Tuesday at our class on prayer Fr.Peter mentioned that if you say the Our Father while washing your hands it amounts to the right amount of scrubbing and rinsing time needed to correctly clean ones hands.
At that time I laughed and thought how silly and pushed the idea aside,But today it dawned on me that if I could start getting into the habit of saying the Our Father,at least several times through out my day while washing my hands,this could be the break I've been looking for.
God knows,with 21 residents to take care of I wash my hands more times then I can even begin to count.
This whole thing may work out,at least when I hear the water run I may start to associate it with praying the Our Father and possibly get a few prayers in here and there through out my 8 to 10 hour work day.
Who knows I may end up like Pavlov's dogs but instead of drooling when I hear a bell ring I may start praying when I hear water running.
Hey you never know..Right?

No comments: